Sushi is one of those meals that can either be really good for you or surprisingly unhealthy. While it starts out as a nutritious option, it can quickly go astray. Low-quality fish, a heavy hand on the white rice and a dousing of sodium-laden soy sauce mean that sushi is often a food to avoid.
Until now. This Vegan Sushi recipe will completely transform how you think about sushi. You won’t miss the fish with this ultra good-for-you version. Instead of the suspicious fish you find at hole-in-the-wall sushi joints (goodbye, imitation crab meat), you’ll have loads of veggies wrapped in nori, a type of seaweed, and cauliflower rice replacing the heavy grain.
This vegan sushi is a terrific option whether or not you are vegan — it’s light and fresh, requires no heat so makes a perfect summertime option, and is prepared quite easily. Get your vegan sushi on!
Begin by adding the cauliflower to a food processor and pulsing until it’s reached a rice-like consistency. This low-calorie, vitamin-rich vegetable makes eating this vegan sushi guilt-free. Place the cauliflower rice in a bowl and pat down with a paper towel to remove the extra moisture. Set the rice aside for now.
Now add the almonds to the food processor, pulsing until finely chopped. Combine them with the cauliflower rice, adding bee–free honey and salt and giving it all a good stir.
Next, place a sheet of the nori seaweed on either a sushi rolling mat or a flat surface and add 1/3 cup of “rice” to the nori, leaving about an inch rice-free around the edges. You’ll need that space to roll the sushi later.
Add the rest of your fillings to the vegan sushi — yum! Then, using your hands, fold the nori up and over the filling, rolling tightly. Wet the nori with a little water to seal it shut.
Cut the roll into smaller pieces with a knife, wiping it down with a damp towel between slices so the knife doesn’t stick to the roll. Serve with Braggs liquid aminos, a vegan-friendly soy sauce alternative.
This vegan friendly is pretty easy to make and so delicious! As you get more familiar with the process, you can even start to get creative with your fillings. I love making a double batch of these vegan sushi rolls to chow down at lunchtime. I hope you love them as much as I do!
Vegan Sushi Recipe
- Sushi Rice:
- 1 large head of cauliflower (makes about 6 cups cauliflower rice)
- ¼ cup almonds
- 1 tablespoon bee-free honey
- A dash of Himalayan salt
- 8 sheets of nori
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 1 carrot, peeled and washed, julienned
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, washed and thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, washed and chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1½ cup alfalfa sprouts
- Braggs Liquid Aminos
- Place the cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until rice consistency.
- In a large bowl, add cauliflower rice and pat with a paper towel thoroughly to remove moisture. Set aside.
- Add almonds to food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Add almonds to cauliflower rice and add bee-free honey and salt, mixing until well combined.
- Place a sheet of nori on a sushi rolling mat or flat surface, add ½ cup of cauliflower rice leaving about an inch around the edges, add filling ingredients.
- Using your hands, fold the nori up and over the filling and roll tightly, wetting the top edge of the nori with a little water to seal it.
- Cut the roll into little pieces wiping your knife with a damp towel between cuts so it doesn't stick to the roll.
- Dip in Braggs Liquid Aminos.