Quinoa is a grain-like food that has become very popular as a gluten-free alternative to grains. Quinoa is a great source of protein, and is also a good source of fiber, phosphorus, magnesium and iron. Try quinoa with this Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe! It’s a great addition to any meal.
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- two 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pan, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion and garlic and sauté until brown.
- Mix quinoa into the sauce pan and cover with chicken or vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne, salt and pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add quinoa mixture to a large bowl.
- Mix in the black beans and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.