When it comes to salad, you have to keep it interesting. A boring, flavorless salad isn’t going to be satisfying and will leave you looking for more food shortly after. That’s why I like to experiment with using different ingredients in my salads, and that’s exactly what I did for this flavorful, easy cucumber salad recipe.
Not only is this recipe a great summer salad alternative, but it’s also completely gluten-free, as well as Paleo- and vegan- and vegetarian-friendly, too. Cucumber is naturally cooling, so eating this salad or other cucumber recipes in the hot summer months is a great way to prevent dehydration and overeating, while promoting detoxification and healthy digestion.
A Refreshing Summer Salad Alternative
Summer is the perfect time for a refreshing, cool and light salad. I like to switch it up sometimes and opt for a salad that’s a little different than your standard leafy green versions.
I love the texture of a cucumber salad — it has a nice crunch, and adding ingredients like tomatoes, basil, and green and red onions gives it an array of flavors, making the cucumber tomato salad really fulfilling.
Here’s a quick glance at some of the top health benefits associated with the ingredients in my cucumber salad recipe:
- Cucumber: Did you know that cucumber has a detoxifying and cleansing effect on the body? Cucumbers help cleanse the liver, and they are a natural diuretic food. Cucumber nutrition includes disease- and cancer-fighting antioxidants. Plus, this vegetable is very low in calories while providing vitamins and minerals like vitamin K, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes are rich in important antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, including lycopene, beta-carotene, flavonoids, folate, potassium, vitamin C and vitamin E. Tomato nutrition promotes heart health, reduces inflammation, benefits your skin and eyes, and protects your bones.
- Basil: There are so many benefits of basil, which are, in large part, due to its antioxidant content. Basil helps reduce inflammation, prevent diabetes, boost your immune system, protect your liver and fight cancer.
- Apple cider vinegar: There are a ton of apple cider vinegar uses, including its role as a natural detoxifier, acid reflux reducer and weight loss supporter. Apple cider vinegar is used to make the dressing for this cucumber salad recipe, and when combined with olive oil, it makes a much healthier alternative than any store-bought dressing.
- Olive oil: Real, high-quality extra virgin olive oil is full of anti-inflammatory compounds, antioxidants and heart-healthy macronutrients. Olive oil benefits include its ability to support brain health, fight cancer and mood disorders, boost skin health, balance hormones, and protect the heart from disease.
How to Make Cucumber Salad
To begin preparing this cucumber salad recipe, first make the dressing. All you have to do is mix 2–3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, 2–3 tablespoons of olive oil, ¼ teaspoon pink Himalayan salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
Set the dressing aside, and take out a medium bowl to prepare your cucumber tomato onion salad.
You’ll need 12 kumato tomatoes, sliced in half, 1 quartered cucumber and ½ of a chopped red onion to start.
Next, add a chiffonade of eight basil leaves. To chiffonade basil, simply make a pile of leaves so one’s on top of the other, roll the leaves up so they look like a straw and chop it finely.
This creates strips of basil that are great as a garnish on any salad, including cucumber salad recipes.
Then, add in your last ingredient, two to three chopped green onions.
Now just add your dressing…
and mix it all up!
Just like that, you have a low-calorie, nutrient-dense salad that’s full of antioxidants and flavor. Enjoy!Print
This cucumber salad recipe with tomato and onion will leave you satisfied with a wide array of flavors and hydrating cucumber. Try it today!
- 1 cucumber, quartered
- 12 kumato tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 2–3 green onions, chopped
- a chiffonade of 8 basil leaves
- 2–3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon himilayan pink salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Mix the dressing together in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the salad ingredients.
- Drizzle on the dressing, mix together thoroughly and serve.
- Category: Salads
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 328g
- Calories: 108
- Sugar: 6.2g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 10.5g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: cucumber salad recipe, cucumber salad recipes, cucumber tomato onion salad, cucumber tomato salad, easy cucumber salad
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &