8 hours 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cassava root flour
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 parsnips, chopped
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- ½ cup canned fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup multi-color peppers, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- ½ sweet onion, sliced
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped for topping
- Coat meat in salt and cassava.
- Toss until all bits are covered in cassava.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm oil.
- Add beef to brown on each side, removing after a minute or two.
- Add all ingredients except cilantro to a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Top with cilantro and serve with rice or gluten-free tortillas.
Have you ever tasted the rich beef stew known as carne guisada? With tender pieces of beef, beef bone broth, roasted tomatoes, peppers, garlic and spices, this is a super flavorful and nutrient-rich meal that requires little effort and is a great choice for weekly meal planning.
The best carne guisada recipe is definitely a matter of personal preference, but I think you’ll be quite pleased with the results of this mouthwatering version.
What is Carne Guisada?
Carne guisada is a beef stew that is extremely popular in many Latin American countries. Carne guisada recipes come in a few varieties, including a Mexican carne guisada recipe or a Puerto Rican carne guisada recipe.
Some people refer to a carne guisada recipe as a spiced up version of a more traditional beef stew. It’s typically served with rice or potatoes. (1) I could also see serving this stew with cauliflower rice with cilantro and lime.
An authentic carne guisada recipe does not usually include parsnips, but you’ll find them in this carne asade recipe. Not only are they a root vegetable with a great nutty taste, they’re also loaded with impressive parsnip nutrition.
This recipe is also safe for gluten-free eaters thanks to the use of cassava root flour rather than the usual wheat flour.
Carne Guisada Recipe Nutrition Facts
- 216 calories
- 16.3 grams protein
- 9.6 grams fat
- 16 grams carbohydrates
- 3.5 grams fiber
- 5.9 grams sugar
- 39.8 milligrams cholesterol
- 612 milligrams sodium
- 4.2 milligrams iron (23 percent DV)
- 1,049 IUs vitamin A (21 percent DV)
- 17 milligrams vitamin C (18.9 percent DV)
- 1.2 milligrams zinc (11 percent DV)
- 24 micrograms folate (6 percent DV)
- 61 milligrams calcium (4.7 percent DV)
- 213 milligrams potassium (4.5 percent DV)
- 5 micrograms vitamin K (4.2 percent DV)
- 15 milligrams magnesium (3.6 percent DV)
- 38 milligrams phosphorus (3 percent DV)
- 0.4 milligrams vitamin E (2.7 percent DV)
As you can see, this carne guisada recipe contains a wide variety of essential vitamins and minerals. Now let’s talk about how to make it!
How to Make Carne Guisada
This is a really easy carne guisada recipe. First, you’ll coat the meat in a little cassava root flour and sea salt. Next, you’ll quickly brown the meat pieces (opt for grass-fed beef if you can) on each side.
After that, all you have to do is add the meat and the remaining ingredients into a slow cooker and let it simmer for hours. As you may guess, all this low and slow cooking is going to result in such a delicious final product.
Place meat in a bowl and coat with salt and cassava flour.
Toss well until all pieces are covered in cassava.
In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm the avocado oil and add the beef pieces.
Brown meat on each side, removing after a minute or two.
Add all ingredients (minus the cilantro) to a slow cooker.
Cook on low for eight hours.
Top with cilantro and serve with rice or gluten-free tortillas.
After cooking on low for eight hours, the stew meat and parsnips will be tender and bursting with flavor.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &