When you can’t decide between breakfast and dessert, these chocolate banana muffins are a delicious choice. They’re made with gluten-free flour and naturally sweetened with ripe bananas for a healthy option that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
You probably already have everything on hand to make these tasty treats, too — and they’re super simple to make.
These chocolate chip banana muffins aren’t your average sweet muffins loaded with sugar and gluten. Quite the opposite, in fact!
That’s because this chocolate banana muffins recipe calls for healthy ingredients and a natural sweetener to avoid a sugar overload. Here are the stars that make this take on a classic recipe healthy and delicious:
- Banana: You’re likely well-aware that bananas are loaded with potassium, but that’s not all. Also rich in B vitamins, vitamin C, manganese and magnesium, bananas benefit everything from energy levels to digestion, mood, heart health and more.
- Dark chocolate chips: When most people think of chocolate, they think of unhealthy candy bars and sugar-laden processed snacks. Dark chocolate is none of that. In fact, it’s full of flavonoids that can help combat disease and support brain, heart, eye and skin health.
- Coconut sugar: While you don’t want to overdo it with coconut sugar, it is a better alternative to regular sugar because it contains trace elements of iron, zinc, calcium, potassium, polyphenols and inulin. Plus, it has a lower glycemic score.
- Eggs: A staple in baking, eggs are a great protein source, but make sure you opt for cage-free, free-range eggs that from chickens that are free from antibiotics and hormones.
- Gluten-free flour: Gluten-free flour is easier on digestion and good for those with gluten sensitivity or celiac to consume.
These chocolate banana muffins are a great way to get the kids cooking, so let’s get in the kitchen and start baking!
How to Make Chocolate Banana Muffins
Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Then in a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until the two are well-combined, then add in the eggs slowly, one at a time.
Next, beat in the nutrition-rich bananas, almond butter (or choice of nut butter), milk and vanilla.
Then, in a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Now, mix together the two bowls, and fold in the chocolate chips. Delicious!
Fill the waiting cupcake liners, about 3/4 of the way, and bake the chocolate chip banana muffins for 18–25 minutes or until they’re baked through.
That’s all there is to making this chocolate banana muffins recipe.
These banana chocolate chip muffins come together in just minutes for the whole family to enjoy. I know you’ll love them as much as I do!
Here are some other healthy muffin recipes to try:
- Banana Nut Muffins Recipe
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Paleo Muffins with Almond Meal and Cacao Nibs
- Gluten-Free Berry Muffins Recipe
- Gluten-Free Apple Muffins Recipe
When you can’t decide between breakfast and dessert, these chocolate banana muffins are a delicious choice and actually good for you.
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed
- ⅔ cup sprouted almond butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix the butter and sugar until well-combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in bananas, almond butter, milk and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Combine both bowls, and fold in the chips.
- Fill tins with cupcake liners and add the dough until 3/4 full and bake for 18–25 minutes.
- You can sub out almond butter for the nut butter of your choice.
- Use the gluten-free flour of your choice, such as coconut, oat, almond, tapioca, chickpea, sorghum, cassava, amaranth, buckwheat or teff flour.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 264
- Sugar: 21.7g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 4.9g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 38.9g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
Keywords: chocolate chip banana muffins, chocolate banana muffins recipe, banana chocolate chip muffins,
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &