Have you ever heard of a pizookie? If not, you’re in for a real treat. Think dark chocolate, cacao powder, hazelnuts, ice cream and a homemade butterscotch sauce. Um, yes.
My pizookie is completely gluten-free, and it includes natural sweeteners like coconut sugar and healthy fats like coconut butter. I put this recipe up there with my dark chocolate souffle recipe and my molten lava cake because they are all decadent, gooey, rich and super tasty.
So if you’re looking to feed (and impress) the whole family or a group of friends, give this pizookie recipe a try.
What Is a Pizookie?
A pizookie is exactly what the name implies: a pizza-cookie that’s usually topped with a scoop of ice cream. Basically, it’s a giant chocolate cookie that can be cut into slices and served to your friends or family.
There are many ways to go about making a pizookie. Really, you can use just about any cookie dough, but I chose to make a soft and gooey dark chocolate cookie. I also added chopped hazelnuts for a little surprise taste and texture when you bite into the cookie. Hazelnuts have an earthy flavor and are commonly used for making coffee and pastries. When combined with dark chocolate, they bring out the rich and decadent flavor. Just think about the very popular Nutella spread made with these two ingredients.
As always, my desserts are made with gluten-free flours that are easier to digest and healthier for your gut. For my pizookie recipe, I use Paleo flour, which is a combination of nut flours and root starches like almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot starch and tapioca flour. Using nut flours in your baking also adds a unique nutty flavor and texture I think compliments dark chocolate and vanilla ice cream really well.
Another interesting twist in my pizookie recipe is the creamy butterscotch sauce that you drizzle on top of the ice cream. Whoa — this adds a flavorful punch to this dessert! I use a combination of coconut sugar, coconut butter and coconut cream instead of using the traditional ingredients like brown sugar and heavy whipping cream. Did you know that coconut butter is really just ground up coconut meat? So really, you’re getting all of those awesome coconut benefits from using coconut butter instead of plain butter in this recipe.
- 429 calories
- 3.5 grams protein
- 29 grams fat
- 41 grams carbohydrates
- 3 grams fiber
- 14 grams sugar
- 1.5 milligrams manganese (85 percent DV)
- 0.3 milligrams copper (41 percent DV)
- 429 milligrams sodium (29 percent DV)
- 1.6 milligrams zinc (20 percent DV)
- 41 milligrams magnesium (13 percent DV)
- 89 milligrams phosphorus (13 percent DV)
- 2 milligrams iron (11 percent DV)
- 1.13 milligrams vitamin E (8 percent DV)
- 3.6 micrograms selenium (7 percent DV)
- 0.3 milligrams vitamin B5 (6 percent DV)
- 0.05 milligrams vitamin B1 (5 percent DV)
- 0.05 milligrams vitamin B2 (5 percent DV)
- 0.06 milligrams vitamin B6 (5 percent DV)
- 222 milligrams potassium (5 percent DV)
- 43 milligrams calcium (4 percent DV)
- 17 micrograms folate (4 percent DV)
- 0.09 micrograms vitamin B12 (4 percent DV)
- 0.38 milligrams vitamin B3 (3 percent DV)
How to Make a Pizookie
To begin making this delicious pizookie, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Then, in a medium-sized bowl, combine ½ cup coconut sugar, ¾ cup coconut oil that’s solid at room temperature and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
Next, add two eggs and mix the ingredients until everything is well-combined.
The next step is to add the dry ingredients, which includes 2 cups Paleo flour, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ cup either cocoa or cacao powder (which is made by grinding cacao nibs) and ½ teaspoon sea salt.
Once you’ve mixed the dry and wet ingredients until they’re all well-combined, add in ½ cup dark chocolate chips and ½ cup chopped hazelnuts.
To bake your pizookie, you’ll need a greased circular pan. Simply drop your mixture into the pan.
Then spread the dough evenly. You want the dough to be flat all the way around, just like a pizza.
Okay, now bake your dough for 12 to 15 minutes and get started on your butterscotch sauce.
To make the sauce, you’ll need a small saucepan on medium heat. Combine ½ cup coconut sugar and ¼ cup coconut butter.
Keep whisking the butter and sugar to prevent it from burning. When your sauce starts to look like a caramel paste, bring the temperature down to medium-low for about 5 to 8 minutes.
Then add in the remaining ingredients, which includes ½ cup coconut cream, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Bring the sauce to a boil on medium heat while continuously whisking. Once it becomes thick like butterscotch, which should take about 8 minutes, remove your sauce from the heat.
Alright, your homemade pizookie and butterscotch sauce is ready to go. I’m sure you’re ready to dive in for a taste!
The classic way to prepare a pizookie is to top it with ice cream. I think a good quality vanilla ice cream, like my raw vanilla ice cream recipe, goes perfectly with this dark chocolate and hazelnut pizookie, but the flavor is completely up to you.
Cut yourself a piece, layer on the ice cream and drizzle your butterscotch sauce right on top. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup coconut oil, solid at room temperature
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- 2 cups Paleo flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (70 percent or darker)
- ½ cup hazelnuts, chopped
- Butterscotch Sauce:
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine ½ cup coconut sugar, coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs, mixing until well-combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, cacao powder and ½ teaspoon salt, mixing until well-combined.
- Add chocolate chips and hazelnuts and mix thoroughly.
- Spread dough evenly into a greased circular pan.
- Bake for 12–15 minutes.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine remaining coconut sugar and coconut butter, whisking constantly to prevent burning.
- When mixture resembles a caramel paste (after about 5–8 minutes), bring temperature to medium-low.
- Add coconut cream, remaining vanilla and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat, continuously whisking.
- When mixture is thick like butterscotch (after about 8 minutes), remove from heat.
- Serve pizookie topped with butterscotch sauce.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &