Beets are some of the healthiest vegetables around, and that’s why I incorporate this roasted beet salad recipe into my meal rotation.
Did you know that the benefits of beets include being high in antioxidants, reducing disease-causing inflammation, detoxing the blood and even reduce high blood pressure? But perhaps the most surprising fact about beets is how few people know what to do with them.
Whether you’re someone who routinely skips beets when purchasing produce or have already embraced them into your diet, you will love this roasted beet salad. While it takes an hour from start to finish, there’s very little hands-on time required — and this roasted beet and goat cheese salad just might turn you into a beet fanatic!
This roasted beet salad with goat cheese recipe is chock-full of healthy ingredients — including the dressing. Here are the main players that make this beet goat cheese salad shine:
- Beets: Beets are incredibly nutrient-dense, which is why they’re the star of this show. High in fiber, folate, manganese, potassium, vitamin C, magnesium, iron, copper and more, beets have been studied for their ability to relieve inflammation, promote heart health, aid detoxification, boost brain function, support digestion, enhance athletic performance and even aid weight loss.
- Goat Cheese: A great supporting actor in this beet and goat cheese salad is, of course, the goat cheese. It’s a great healthy fat source that also provides a host of protein, probiotics and calcium, making it a healthier choice than many varieties of cow cheese.
- Pear: Pear nutrition provides a good amount of fiber and vitamin C, and like beets, pears are good for the heart, weight, digestive system, bones and immunity.
- Honey: Along with heart-healthy olive oil and balsamic vinegar, honey helps make up the base of the salad dressing in this roasted beet salad recipe. Honey, particularly raw honey, is a true superfood that benefits just about every part and every function of the body.
Of course, the almonds, onions and orange juice/zest only add to the nutrition of this beet and goat cheese salad.
How to Make a Roasted Beet Salad
Let’s start by preheating the oven to and wrapping up the beets in parchment paper (healthier than aluminum foil). Make it easier to pull them out later by placing the wrapped beets on a baking pan.
When the oven is nice and toasty, slide the beets in and let the oven work its magic for the next hour or so.
Once the beets are tender, pull them out. Give them some time to cool off, then peel and cube them.
Look at that color!
While the beets are returning to a temperature at which you can handle them without scalding yourself, whisk together your dressing, with the orange juice, honey, vinegar, orange zest, mustard and oil. Then add in some nutritious onion, pear and cubed beets.
You’re almost there!
Divvy up the salad among four plates (or take an extra helping). Top each portion with goat cheese and heart-healthy almonds.
Now that is a salad!
I love how fancy this salad looks but also how easy it is to whip up for lunch or a light dinner. It’s a great way to introduce a new veggie to your family’s menu.
You could even add grilled chicken or fish to make this more hearty.Print
Whether you’re someone who routinely skips beets or already eat them, you will love this roasted beet salad.
- 3 medium beets with tops trimmed to 1”
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced onion
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Wrap beets tightly in parchment paper.
- Roast beets until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool, peel and cut into cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey, vinegar, orange zest, mustard and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add pear, onion and roasted beets and toss to coat.
- Divide salad evenly among 4 plates and serve topped with cheese and almonds.
- Feel free to skip the almonds if you don’t want the added crunch.
- Swap in other healthy dressings to change things up.
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 60 min
- Category: Salads
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 salad
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 14.2g
- Sodium: 124mg
- Fat: 7.3g
- Saturated Fat: 3.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 20.3g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Protein: 6.4g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
Keywords: roasted beet salad recipe, roasted beet and goat cheese salad, beet salad, beet salad recipe, roasted beet salad with goat cheese, beet goat cheese salad, beet and goat cheese salad,