If you haven’t fallen in love with Brussels sprouts yet, then this is the recipe for you. Dressed up and humble at the same time, these roasted Brussels sprouts with apples and pecans will have you wondering why you ever avoided (or maybe despised!) the tiny green cabbage.
The reason your mother or grandmother wanted you to eat nutrition-rich Brussels sprouts is because they are packed with antioxidants, vitamins (K, C and A are tops), minerals, fiber, omega-3s and a good amount of protein for a vegetable. Regularly eating just a one-cup serving of the cruciferous veggie can help lower your risk of cancer, strengthen your bones, protect skin and eye health, aid digestion, fight inflammation, lower glucose and cholesterol … need I go on?
This roasted Brussels sprouts recipe adds even more vitamins and fiber with apple and the healthy fats of pecans and ghee. The lemon zest, thyme and shallots don’t just bump up the flavor either — they provide more vitamins and minerals to help aid the immune system and benefit the whole body.
While Brussels sprouts, apples and pecans are at their peak in the fall and winter, they’re available year-round, so try this recipe for a holiday gathering or a simple weeknight meal paired with my seared grass-fed steak. Now let’s get started on this oven roasted Brussels sprouts recipe.
How to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts
You may be wondering:
- How do I roast Brussels sprouts?
- Should you cut Brussels sprouts in half before roasting?
- Do you have to steam Brussels sprouts before roasting?
We have you covered.
Begin by heating the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grabbing a 13×9-inch baking dish. That’s the only dish you’ll need for this recipe!Add two pounds of trimmed and halved Brussels sprouts to the dish. (We’re making enough for a crowd, but you could easily half this recipe for fewer people.)
Throw in two minced shallots and some sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix these around so all the veggies get some seasoning.
Next, pour in about a cup of white wine. If you want to avoid using wine, you could use chicken broth, but the wine is going to enhance the sweetness of the roasted Brussels sprouts and help them caramelize a bit.Next top the sprouts with spoonfuls of ghee, making sure all areas of the dish have some ghee. Now pop the dish in the oven for 30 minutes.
The Brussels sprouts are going to get a little browned and steamed in the wine and ghee.Take the dish out of the oven, and add the zest of one lemon, one diced sweet apple (such as Braeburn or Fuji), one cup pecan pieces and one teaspoon of chopped fresh thyme.
You can also add a half-cup grated Zamorano cheese if you’d like. Zamorano is a mild, tasty cheese made from raw sheep milk, which has similar benefits as raw goat milk products.
Stir gently to combine — then it’s back to the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, just until the Brussels sprouts and apple pieces are tender.Serve up these roasted Brussels sprouts while they’re warm, and enjoy the sweet, nutty, tangy and buttery flavor. I love this dish with turkey or beef, but it also makes a filling veggie meal on its own and is great reheated.
It’s proof that not only are Brussels sprouts incredibly good for you, but they can taste incredible too.Print
Roasted Brussels sprouts with apples and pecans will have you wondering why you ever avoided (or maybe despised!) the tiny green cabbage.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, washed, trimmed and halved
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup ghee
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 sweet apple, cored and diced
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/3 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 cup grated Zamorano cheese (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, combine the Brussels sprouts, shallots, salt and pepper and mix together.
- Pour the white wine into the dish and place spoonfuls of ghee on top of the sprouts, making sure all areas of the dish have ghee.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the lemon zest, apples, pecans, thyme and (if using) Zamorano. Stir to combine.
- Return the dish to the oven for 15–20 minutes, or until sprouts and apple pieces are tender.
- You can use chicken or vegetable broth in place of white wine if you prefer.
- The cheese is optional, and if you don’t have Zamorano, you can use another healthy cheese, such as goat cheese.
- Category: Side Dishes
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 311
- Sugar: 6.4g
- Sodium: 80mg
- Fat: 21.9g
- Saturated Fat: 8.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 13.3g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 18.6g
- Fiber: 6.5g
- Protein: 10g
- Cholesterol: 31mg
Keywords: oven roasted brussels sprouts, roasted brussels sprouts recipe
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &