- 1 bunch curly kale, washed and chopped, ribs removed
- Indian Spice Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- zest of 1 orange
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- OR Chipotle Spice Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 275 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients from your choice of dressing together until smooth.
- In a large bowl, pour the dressing over the chopped kale. Massage the dressing into the kale so all parts are covered with dressing and the leaves turn a darker, shiny green.
- Spread the kale evenly on the cookie sheets. Make sure the leaves aren’t overlapping. This prevents sogginess.
- Bake the chips for 15 minutes and rotate the cookie sheets front to back and top to bottom.
- Bake for another 15 minutes and check for crispness. If the chips aren’t crisp yet, rotate the cookie sheets again and bake for 5-10 minutes more.
- Allow the chips to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheets, and then enjoy.
There’s nothing better than snacking on chips and dip when you’re watching a sports game … or a movie … or even when you need a quick healthy snack for kids. But if you’re brave enough to read the ingredients list on a bag of most potato chips, you’ll lose your appetite quite quickly. It’s hard to find anything resembling an actual potato in those!
There’s no reason to give up munching, though. These spicy kale chips are spectacular. Not only do you get the health benefits of kale, including loads of vitamins K and A, but you have the choice of two drool-worthy dressings to flavor the chips: Indian spice and chipotle spice. So if you’ve been hunting for guilt-free, tasty snack foods for game day, movie night or to pack in the kids’ lunch boxes, these spicy kale chips are it. Ready to dig in?
Start by heating the oven to 275 Fahrenheit. It might sound low, but we want crispy, not burnt, kale chips. Next, line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Using two means the kale won’t be overcrowded as it bakes. If you have only have one sheet, no problem. Just bake the chips in batches.
This is a good time to prep the kale, too. For this recipe, we want the ribs of the kale removed. The simplest way to do this is to grab the base of the stem with one hand and run your other hand to the end, taking the leaf with you so the rib is left leafless. Don’t toss those ribs out, though. Freeze ’em to toss into smoothies at a later date.
Next, in a small bowl, mix all the ingredients from your choice of dressing until smooth. Whichever version you choose will have an awesome If you’re like me and can’t choose (or if you know one batch won’t last very long), make a double batch of dressing and chips. Problem solved!
Then, in a large bowl, pour the dressing over the chopped and kale. Work that dressing in so all the kale is covered and the leaves turn a dark, shiny green.
Spread the kale evenly on the cookie sheets, making sure the leaves aren’t overlapping. These babies need room to breathe so they don’t become soggy.
Bake the chips for 15 minutes and then rotate the cookie tray and flip the chips over, so each side gets nice and crisp. Bake for another 15 minutes and check on the crunch factor. If they’re not super crispy yet, slide the sheets back into the oven and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes.
When the spicy kale chips have reached optimal crispiness, remove from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 minutes before devouring.
I love how healthy and delicious these kale chips are. I love the dressings on these, but once you get the hang of making it, you can switch it up, too and use your own favorites — or even salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Enjoy!
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &