- 4 chicken breasts
- One 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts, keeping a few out for garnishing the plate (optional)
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 8 ounces of goat cheese chèvre
- 1 cup of spinach
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a large skillet, cook the onions and mushrooms on medium-high heat until they are tender.
- Remove from heat and place the onions and mushrooms in a bowl until you need them.
- Using the same skillet, mix the goat cheese and the chicken stock together over medium heat. Stir until well mixed.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Add in the spices, tomatoes, artichokes, mushrooms, spinach and onions.
- Cook until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Place chicken breasts into the baking pan.
- Pour veggie mixture over the chicken.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes.
When I plan out my dinner, I want to prepare something tasty and filling but also nutrient-dense. That’s exactly what I had in mind when I put together this baked Italian chicken recipe.
By adding vegetables, spices and a good-quality cheese to your chicken dishes, you can easily boost the nutritional value of your meals. Plus, you’re adding a variety of flavors and textures that make a dish satisfying, which helps you to maintain or lose weight.
This baked Italian chicken recipe proves that eating healthy doesn’t have to be difficult — it can be simple, and even enjoyable!
A Simple Italian Meal… Loaded with Benefits
It’s so easy to put together a healthy, delicious meal for you and your family. My baked Italian chicken recipe is full of beneficial vegetables like mushrooms, artichoke hearts, onion, tomato and spinach. Plus, the creamy sauce in this recipe is made with goat cheese, chicken stock, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
So what do all of these ingredients have in common? They are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. You are also getting healthy fats and plenty of protein. And did I mention that this meal is completely gluten-free? You really can’t go wrong with such a simple, no-fuss, time-saving recipe like this one.
Baked Italian Chicken Recipe Nutrition Facts
- 487 calories
- 57 grams protein
- 18 grams fat
- 10 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams fiber
- 25.8 milligrams niacin (184 percent DV)
- 1.3 milligrams vitamin B6 (103 percent DV)
- 1,653 IUs vitamin A (71 percent DV)
- 0.59 milligrams riboflavin (54 percent DV)
- 2.5 milligrams vitamin B5 (51 percent DV)
- 46 micrograms vitamin K (51 percent DV)
- 178 milligrams choline (42 percent DV)
- 25 milligrams vitamin C (33 percent DV)
- 0.7 micrograms vitamin B12 (29 percent DV)
- 0.24 milligrams thiamin (22 percent DV)
- 72 micrograms folate (18 percent DV)
- 1 milligram vitamin E (7 percent DV)
- 52 micrograms selenium (95 percent DV)
- 611 milligrams phosphorus (87 percent DV)
- 0.68 milligrams copper (76 percent DV)
- 750 milligrams sodium (50 percent DV)
- 2.7 milligrams zinc (34 percent DV)
- 89 milligrams magnesium (29 percent DV)
- 3.6 milligrams iron (20 percent DV)
- 828 milligrams potassium (18 percent DV)
- 0.32 milligrams manganese (18 percent DV)
- 131 milligrams calcium (13 percent DV)
Here’s a quick glance at some of the top health benefits associated with the ingredients in this baked Italian chicken recipe:
Organic chicken: Organic, free-range chicken is a high-protein food that can help you to maintain or lose weight, support your muscle and bones, boost your energy levels and regulate your blood sugar levels. Organic chicken also supplies vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium and iron. (6)
Goat cheese: I prefer to use cheese that’s made from goat milk instead of cow milk because it’s easier to digest and has fewer allergenic proteins. Goat cheese is a great source of protein and in this recipe, it adds a really nice creamy texture. (7)
Artichokes: Did you know that artichokes are full of antioxidants and fiber? Adding artichokes to any meal will quickly improve the nutritional value. They have the power to boost your heart health, help protect you from free radical damage that causes serious diseases like cancer and improve your digestive health. (8)
Mushrooms: There are so many mushroom nutrition benefits, including the ability to help combat diseases and boost your immune system. Mushrooms are packed with powerful antioxidants that help reduce inflammation and fight free radical damage. They also serve as a source of B vitamins, like riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid. (9)
Tomato: Tomato nutrition contains a number of powerful phytochemicals, including lycopene, an antioxidant with a ton of health benefits. Lycopene plays a role in boosting brain and heart health, protecting your bones and eyes and alleviating neuropathic pain. (10)
Spinach: Add spinach to your meals to reduce inflammation and signs of aging, protect your central nervous system, boost your heart health and load up on vitamins and minerals like vitamins A and C, manganese, zinc and selenium. (11)
How to Make This Baked Italian Chicken Recipe
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and take out a bowl and large skillet.
In the large skillet, cook one chopped onion and one cup of mushrooms on medium-heat until they become tender. Then, remove them from the skillet and put them in a bowl for later.
Next, using the same skillet, mix ½ cup of chicken stock and 8 ounces of goat cheese chèvre.
Keep stirring and let the stock and cheese come together over medium heat.
Now add in your spices: ½ teaspoon each of garlic powder, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.
Add in one chopped tomato, one 14-ounce can of artichoke hearts (leaving a few aside to garnish the plate at the end), 1 cup of spinach and the cooked mushrooms and onions.
Stir the ingredients and let them cook until the spinach is slightly wilted.
Place your chicken breasts onto a baking pan lined with parchment paper and pour your veggie mixture over the chicken.
The last step is to bake it in the oven for 30–40 minutes.
I like to add a little extra spinach and an artichoke heart to my plate alongside the chicken.
And just like that, your easy baked Italian chicken recipe is ready. Enjoy!
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &