When it comes to making a quick Italian-style meal, this chicken cacciatore recipe is my go-to meal. Have you tried it before?
If you haven’t, this recipe for chicken cacciatore with chicken breasts is one that you absolutely must give a shot.
What Is Chicken Cacciatore?
“Cacciatore” means “hunter” in Italian, reflecting the simple, back-to-basics ingredients of the recipe. And really, how can you not love a dish that incorporates chicken breast, mushrooms, fresh tomatoes and red wine?
For the best chicken cacciatore recipe, make sure to use free-range chicken. It ensures that the birds you eat were given a chance to roam in fresh air and sunshine, making for healthier animals.
In addition to being a lean source of protein, free-range chicken avoids the hormones so many commercial companies pump their animals with, and many even find the meat tastes better.
Of course, chicken isn’t the only star of this recipe. The mushrooms provide an immune-boosting, brain-supporting, heart-healthy dose of flavor, while the garlic spices things up and supports heart, immune, brain and gut health.
This recipe also calls for tomatoes, onion and red wine, all of which provide their own unique benefits:
- Tomato nutrition provides vitamins C, A and K, along with potassium, manganese and B vitamins. These nutrients help combat inflammation, protect vision and benefit skin health.
- Onion nutrition offers many of the same nutrients as tomatoes, making for another immune-boosting, heart-healthy, bone-building ingredient.
- Red wine, when used in moderation, is full of antioxidants, particularly quercetin and resveratrol, which help combat free radicals and support many aspects of health.
This easy chicken cacciatore recipe comes together in under 30 minutes, so it’s a fantastic choice to make after work or on those busy weekends when you’re tempted to order takeout. Ready to make this healthy chicken cacciatore?
How to Make Chicken Cacciatore
Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add in the chicken, sliced onions, garlic and red wine, and cook for the next 15 minutes.
This chicken cacciatore recipe only calls for 3/4 cup of wine — enjoy a little health boost and pour a glass to enjoy with dinner, because alcohol in moderation can be good for you.
Then turn the heat down to medium-low, and add the mushrooms, tomatoes, sea salt and Italian seasoning to the pan. Reducing the heat lets the chicken cook through without the vegetables burning.
The cacciatore is ready when the chicken is white throughout and the veggies are tender.
You’ve got options for serving this chicken cacciatore recipe. It goes nicely with buckwheat or spinach pasta to soak up the sauce.
This recipe also goes just as well over a bed of greens. However you serve it, this dish is going to be a win.
In addition to other chicken cacciatore recipes — including instant pot chicken cacciatore — here are a few poultry-based recipes to try:
- Cheesy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Chicken Scarpariello With Sausage and Peppers Recipe
- Baked Italian Chicken Recipe
This chicken cacciatore recipe is a favorite from my cookbook! It’s easy to make, full of great flavor and so healthy. Try it today.
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ¾ cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Italian seasoning, to taste
- On a medium setting, heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, onion, garlic and red wine. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Turn down heat to med-low. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, sea salt and Italian seasoning.
- Cook until chicken is white throughout and vegetables are tender.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/2 pound breast
- Calories: 477
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 737mg
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.7g
- Trans Fat: 0.2g
- Carbohydrates: 10.2g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 50.3g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
Keywords: chicken cacciatore recipe, easy chicken cacciatore, what is chicken cacciatore, recipe for chicken cacciatore, best chicken cacciatore recipe, chicken cacciatore with chicken breasts, chicken cacciatore recipes,
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &