Easy Homemade Chicken Marsala Recipe
Chicken marsala is one of my favorite restaurant dishes. Juicy chicken and meaty mushrooms sautéed in butter and topped with a wine sauce … what’s not to love?
Unfortunately, the answer is a lot when it comes to most chicken marsala recipes. One major restaurant chain’s dish contains over 700 calories and a whole lot of sodium — and the chickens, unfortunately, usually come from factory farms.
You may be wondering, then: Is Chicken Marsala unhealthy? It can be, of course, but it doesn’t have to be.
Luckily, you can re-create chicken marsala quickly and healthfully right at home with this easy chicken marsala recipe.
What is chicken marsala made of?
In our homemade recipe for chicken marsala, we use Paleo flour, ghee instead of butter and lots of seasonings for a flavorful meal that’s good for you, too. Here are the other main ingredients:
- Chicken: Free-range chicken breasts are, of course, the main piece of this marsala chicken recipe. This lean protein avoids the hormones factory-farmed chickens are pumped with, and many say it tastes better to boot.
- Mushrooms: Another source of protein, this time plant-based, mushrooms nutrition does wonders for health. These incredible fungi can help boost immunity, protect heart health, enhance energy, support healthy weight, promote brain health and strengthen bones.
- Ghee: As a butter alternative, ghee provides healthy fat along with vitamin A, and its high smoke point makes it perfect for cooking.
- Paleo flour: Using this gluten-free flour helps make this keto chicken marsala, cutting down on the carbs and irritating gluten.
- Marsala wine: What marsala wine is best for chicken marsala? Get a high-quality wine that you can use for the chicken marsala sauce.
How to Make Chicken Marsala
We’ll start by mixing together your dry ingredients — the flour, garlic powder, salt and oregano — in a large bowl. If you like your food with a kick, this is a good time to add in some benefit-rich cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper.
Pat the chicken breasts to make sure they’re dry, and then dredge them in the seasoned flour.
In a skillet heated to medium-high, toss in the ghee, and then add in the chicken breasts. This will give the chicken the rich flavor that makes chicken marsala so tasty.
Cook the chicken breast until slightly browned on one side, then flip.
Time to give those mushrooms some color. Add them to the skillet, and let them cook with the chicken for another two to three minutes.
At this point, pour the marsala wine over the chicken and mushrooms, and cover the skillet. Reduce the heat to low, and let the chicken cook through for 10 minutes or so.
The alcohol in the wine will also reduce during this process, leaving you with the sweet taste of marsala.
This chicken marsala recipe is easier than going out, isn’t it?
What is typically served with chicken marsala? Serve the chicken with your favorite veggies or side salad, like this kale caesar salad, for a complete meal. You can also try the following sides:Print
Easy Homemade Chicken Marsala Recipe
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
Restaurant versions of chicken marsala come with inferior chicken and tons of sodium. Instead, make it at home with gluten-free flour.
- ⅓ cup Paleo flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons ghee
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup marsala wine
- In a medium bowl or shallow pan, mix the flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano.
- Pat the chicken breasts dry, then coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, add the ghee and then the chicken breasts. Cook the chicken until slightly browned on one side.
- Flip the chicken breasts and add the mushrooms to the skillet. Cook for another 2–3 minutes.
- Pour the marsala wine over the chicken and cover the skillet. Reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- You can add cayenne pepper or other spicy herbs to up the heat factor.
- If you don’t have ghee handy, you can use butter, but make sure it’s grass-fed.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 20 min
- Category: Main dish
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 chicken breast
- Calories: 408
- Sugar: 0.8g
- Sodium: 620mg
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 7.6g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 8.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Protein: 54.3g
- Cholesterol: 155mg
Keywords: chicken marsala recipe, recipe for chicken marsala, how to make chicken marsala, chicken marsala recipes, what is chicken marsala, easy chicken marsala, marsala chicken, keto chicken marsala, chicken marsala sauce, best chicken marsala recipe,