Dark chocolate lovers, I have a special treat for you. These delicious dark chocolate almond butter cookies are not only healthier than your average chocolate chip cookie, but they are the ultimate crowd-pleaser and Paleo-friendly.
Using only almond butter and almond flour for a base, this all-natural dark chocolate chip cookie is nutty and chewy without the guilt of refined flour and sugar.
The reason I encourage my family, friends and patients to avoid wheat is partly because of its carbohydrate structure that can raise blood sugar levels more quickly than a candy bar. Wheat also increases insulin levels, which contribute to fat storage in the body — not to mention gluten in wheat that triggers inflammation and damages gut lining.
I love baking with almond butter and almond flour, not only for the heart health benefits the almond brings, but for the nutty flavor and chewy texture they add to this dark chocolate almond butter cookie recipe.
Dark chocolate chips are a no-brainer for these double chocolate chip cookies, as they are not only great for boosting focus and memory, but they also have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Stick with bars or chocolate chips that contain 70 percent or higher in cocoa or cacao.
Speaking of cacao, I added cacao nibs to these dark chocolate almond butter cookies for an extra crunch and double chocolate flavor. Cacao nibs are a great source of sulfur and magnesium, and much like their counterpart dark chocolate, they also contain high amount of flavonols with antioxidant properties.
For the remaining ingredients, I used the wonderful natural sweetener maple syrup, a pastured egg, vanilla extract and sea salt.
How to Make Dark Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a food processor, add in almond butter, almond flour, maple syrup, egg, vanilla extract, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder.
Process the almond cookie mixture until it is smooth and well-combined. Add in cacao nibs and dark chocolate chips, and mix well.
Chill the dough for 20 minutes.
Shape cookies into circles, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake cookies for 10–12 minutes.
Good luck keeping these keto almond butter cookies around very long!
If you’re looking for an alternative to this dark chocolate almond butter cookies recipe, here are a few options:
- Almond Butter Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Soft, Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- The Best Lactation Cookies Recipe to Support Milk Supply
- Chewy, No-Bake Homemade Granola Bars
- Paleo Zucchini Brownies with Dark Chocolate Chips
Want to just eat vegan cookie dough? Try our edible cookie dough recipe!Print
These dark chocolate almond butter cookies are healthier than your average chocolate chip cookie, a crowd-pleaser and Paleo-friendly.
- 1 cup sprouted almond butter
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup cacao nibs
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips, minimum 70% cacao
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, add in almond butter, almond flour, maple syrup, egg, vanilla extract, sea salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Stir in cacao nibs and dark chocolate chips.
- Chill dough for 20 minutes.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the dough and shape into cookies and place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 10–12 minutes.
- If you want a little less chocolate, you can opt for just the dark chocolate chips or the cacao nibs.
- To make this recipe vegan, replace the egg with an egg substitute, such as vinegar and baking soda.
- Prep Time: 25 min
- Cook Time: 10 min
- Category: Desserts
- Method: By hand
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1-2 cookies
- Calories: 113
- Sugar: 8.1g
- Sodium: 137mg
- Fat: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2.8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 15.6g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 14mg
Keywords: almond butter cookies, keto almond butter cookies, almond butter cookies recipe, almond butter chocolate chip cookies, dark chocolate almond butter cookies,