One of the big bummers about going gluten-free is missing out of those sweet-smelling and tasting pies and crisps. Wait a minute!? With the advent of the many viable gluten-free flours, you don’t have to miss out on this treat — including my Gluten-Free Apple Crisp — any longer.
Also, for those of you who’ve labored to create a pie crust from scratch, you’ll be delighted to know that this one requires very little work but the results are delicious all the same. Even better, all seven of the ingredients for this gluten-free apple crisp recipe are truly good for you. How often can you say that about any dessert, huh?
- Apples: In particular, apple nutrition is significant, for the apple is a top fiber, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory food. And personally, while I love a crisp raw apple, there’s something special about baking this amazing fruit.
- Gluten-free oats: Combined with gluten-free oats, the fiber quotient of this recipe is impressive and can help to prevent heart disease, lower cholesterol and alleviate constipation.
- Grass-fed butter: Real butter from grass-fed cows is actually an awesome, healthy food that offers a lot more benefits than you would expect. The term “healthy butter” is especially true when you purchase butter that is grass-fed and organic.
- Spices: Lastly, the spices cinnamon and nutmeg produce those holiday friendly smells, but cinnamon, in particular, also imparts several health benefits, including addressing allergies and the common cold.
How to Make Gluten-Free Apple Crisp
So let’s get started! First, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Get a couple of organic Granny Smith apples, ideally grown locally, and core them. Next, slice them up thinly.
In a bowl, stir the remaining ingredients — coconut sugar (one of the best natural sweeteners), gluten-free flour, gluten-free oats, grass-fed butter, cinnamon and nutmeg — together until well mixed. Use a mixer or a firm scraper.
Sprinkle this lovely gluten-free concoction over the apples in the tart pans or baking pan.
Lastly, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and place on cooling racks … and try to patiently wait to dig into the alternatively gooey yet crisp textures. For a real show-stopper, couple with my Raw Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy!Print
Need to avoid gluten? With the advent of the many viable gluten-free flours, you don’t have to miss out on this treat any longer.
- 4 apples, sliced (Granny Smith if possible)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup gluten-free flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/3 cup grass-fed butter, unsalted and melted
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice and core the four apples.
- Melt the butter in a small pan.
- Spread sliced apples in 4 mini-tart pans or an 8 x 8 x 2 greased pan.
- In a bowl, stir in remaining ingredients until well mixed. Then mix with melted butter and sprinkle over apples in pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
While the recipe calls for Granny Smith apples, other crisp apples from your local farmer’s market will do just as well.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 164 g (3/4 cup)
- Calories: 268
- Sugar: 25g
- Sodium: 26mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.7g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.8g
- Trans Fat: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 41.3
- Fiber: 4.6
- Protein: 3
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: gluten-free apple crisp, apple crisp recipe, easy apple crisp