Can anything with the word “donut” in it ever be healthy? All signs point to yes. And if you don’t believe me, it’s time to try these homemade mini-donut cakes.
You’ll be surprised by how ordinary the ingredients to these amazing little donuts are. They’re made with fiber-rich, gluten-free sorghum flour — if you haven’t jumped on the sorghum train yet, now’s the time! That’s right, these mini donut cakes are gluten-free. You’ll need a donut pan, but it’s worth the purchase; you can often find them for about $10.
These homemade mini donut cakes are an amazing treat for dessert, to celebrate a special occasion or just to sweeten up a not-so-amazing day!
Start by preheating the oven to 350 F. Whisk together the first six ingredients — sorghum flour through Himalayan sea salt — and set them aside.
Then in a small saucepan over low-to-medium heat, combine the coconut sugar, honey and coconut oil — the ingredients in these homemade mini-donut cakes are so good for you! Stir until the mix is combined well and remove from heat.
Now it’s time to mix things together. Add the wet ingredients, plus the eggs, to the dry mix. You know the drill now: mix it all together well.
Grease the donut pan and pour the now-well-combined mixture into it. Bake for 18–20 minutes. Let the donuts cool off for 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.
While the homemade minidonut cakes hang on the cooling rack, put down a sheet of parchment paper on the counter. Now transfer the cakes to the parchment paper, with the top side down. Now comes the fun part: fill them with strawberries (or your berry of choice) and homemade coconut whipped cream!
Finish off these yummy little cakes with a drizzle of melted chocolate and gobble them up while hot.
These homemade mini-donut cakes are really so much easier to make than you might imagine once you see the finished product. Wow your family and friends — or don’t. You might finish these before there is time to share!
Makes 12 mini donut cakes
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- dash of Himalayan salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 6–8 strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 coconut whipped cream mixture
- 1 organic dark chocolate bar (3.5 oz/100g), melted
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together the first 6 ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl add lemon juice and coconut milk. Mix well.
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat combine coconut sugar, honey and coconut oil. Stir until well combined and remove from heat.
- Add the eggs plus the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient mixture. Mix thoroughly.
- Grease a donut pan and pour in the mixture. Bake for 18-–20 minutes. Allow donut cakes to rest for 5 minutes before flipping onto cooling wrack.
- Put down a sheet of parchment paper. Transfer the mini donut cakes onto the parchment paper, top side down. Fill donut cakes with strawberries and coconut whipped cream. Drizzle with chocolate. Serve.