Cheesecake is delicious, creamy and full of dairy. As such, you might be surprised to learn that not only can you make a vegan cheesecake, but it can taste fantastic. That’s the case with my vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake.
This is the type of dessert you’ll want to serve company, especially those who’ve sworn off anything healthy and turn their noses up at any word that begins with “veg.” One bite of this will turn anyone into a real food convert.
The crust is filled with healthy fats thanks to the walnuts and cashews, while the filling is a creamy, mouthwatering mix of coconut milk, cocoa powder and maple syrup, with no refined sugars in sight.
Add in the coconut flakes and coconut oil, and you have all-natural, healthy fat and protein abundant in this recipe.
Of course, it’s topped off with sweetness that comes from natural sources as well, avoiding artificial sweeteners and excessive sugar. Along with the tasty maple syrup, Medjool dates are tasty and arguably the healthiest natural sweetener around, while vanilla makes for the perfect sweet blend.
You’ll want to plan ahead for this one: You’ll need to soak cashews and allow the cake to set in the freezer for two hours, but trust me, it’s worth it!
Get ready to cut yourself a slice (or two) of this vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake.
How to Make Vegan Coconut Cocoa Cheesecake
Pull out the food processor, and blend the walnuts, Medjool dates, vanilla and sea salt until the ingredients form a dough. Once that’s ready, spread the dough for this vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake in an un-greased, nine-inch springform pan, and stick it in the freezer for 20 minutes.
While the dough is chilling, let’s get the filling ready. Add all the ingredients to a blender, and blend on low speed until it’s all mixed up. Look at that lovely cocoa color.
Next, remove the crust from the freezer. It’s time to pour the filling over it. Yum!
Then cover the pan, and put the entire cake back in the freezer. Let it hang out for at least the next two hours in there. On the bright side, there’s no baking required.
Once the cake has set in the freezer, let it thaw slightly in the refrigerator for 20 minutes or so. This vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake will be perfectly chilled and sliceable. Sprinkle the coconut flakes on before serving, and enjoy.
Going vegan doesn’t mean no more cheesecake, especially when it’s as good as this coconut cocoa cheesecake version.
Looking for some other healthy cheesecake recipes? Try these:
- Raw Vegan Lavender Mini Cheesecakes
- Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Recipe
- Strawberry Lime Mojito Cheesecake Recipe
- Raw Cheesecake Bars Recipe
This vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake is one you’ll want to serve company. One bite will turn anyone into a real food convert.
- 3 cups walnuts
- 2 cups Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- dash of sea salt (about 1/6 teaspoon)
- 1½ cups raw cashews, soaked and rinsed well*
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- one 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ⅓ cup dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cup coconut flakes
- In a food processor, blend together the walnuts, dates, vanilla and sea salt until dough is formed.
- Spread the dough evenly in the bottom of an ungreased, 9-inch springform pan.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Place all of the filling ingredients into a blender and blend on low speed until well-blended.
- Remove the crust from the freezer.
- Pour the filling mixture on top of the crust, cover the pan and replace the cake in the freezer.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Defrost the cake in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle coconut flakes on the top before serving.
- *Quick soaked cashews: To cut down on soaking time, add cashews to a pot and cover with water by 1/2 inch. Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the cashews to soak for 1 hour. Drain the cashews, rinse with cold water, and use.
- Prep Time: 3 hours, 5 minutes
- Category: Desserts
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 88g
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 116mg
- Fat: 30.6g
- Saturated Fat: 14.9g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.7g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fiber: 3.9g
- Protein: 5.9g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan coconut cocoa cheesecake recipe