Simple and delicious, this Tuscan white bean soup recipe packs in the veggies and fills you up.
You don’t have to spend hours letting them simmer either. In fact, you can prepare a healthy, tasty soup in under an hour. Enter my Tuscan white bean soup.
This soup, inspired by cooking in Italy’s Tuscan region, comes together in just 45 minutes.
Is white bean soup good for you? In keeping with Italian-style cooking and the Mediterranean diet, this hearty white bean soup is loaded with fresh, colorful veggies, like zucchini, carrots, kale, squash and cabbage, and paired with healthy fats.
Two BPA-free cans of cannellini beans, also known as white beans, mean this Tuscan soup is full of fiber and protein, even with no meat. That’s right, this soup is vegetarian, and while you could certainly eat it as a starter, with all of the veggie goodness inside, this one is best enjoyed as a main dish.
Some Tuscan white bean soup recipes are loaded with sodium and preservatives but not my vegetarian Tuscan white bean and kale soup. Here are some of the main players in this Tuscan soup recipe:
- Avocado oil: This heart-healthy oil is fantastic in cooking because it has a high smoke point, so nutrients are retained even at high temperatures.
- Cabbage: Cabbage is a low-calorie, nutrient-dense veggie. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals, helping combat inflammation and disease.
- Cannellini beans: As mentioned above, these white beans are loaded with fiber and protein, and they can aid in weight and blood sugar regulation.
- Carrots: You likely already know carrots are good for eye health, but that’s not all. They also can decrease the risk for heart disease and stroke, support oral health, protect the brain, and boost skin health.
- Celery: Did you know that celery is packed with vitamin K and can lower inflammation? It’s true.
- Kale: It’s no secret that kale is a superfood, as the health benefits of kale including combating inflammation, aiding detoxification, supporting the heart and so much more.
- Yellow squash: Often thought of as a summer squash, yellow squash makes a great addition to a hearty winter soup too. It’s good for weight loss diets and loaded with vitamins and antioxidants.
- Zucchini: Another low-calorie, nutrient-dense food, zucchini nutrition provides countless benefits while adding flavor.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s get cooking on this Tuscan bean soup.
How to Make Tuscan White Bean Soup
We start by adding avocado oil to the bottom of a stock pot, and then add avocado oil and pan fry the carrots, onions, celery, garlic and squash over medium heat.
I also especially like the benefit-rich celery in this Tuscan white bean soup. It adds some crunch and a distinct flavor with few calories.
Next, add in the broth. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, opt for a veggie broth.
If not, I highly suggest you try my chicken bone broth recipe in this bean soup. It’s fantastic for your digestive system and one of my favorite healing foods.
Using a store-bought broth is fine, too, if you’re short on time.
Next, add in the rest of the ingredients, and let them simmer for half hour. This time allows the cabbage and kale to soften.
Once the 30 minutes are up, turn off the heat and top the Tuscan white bean soup with shaved raw sheep or goat cheese. This is why I love the Mediterranean diet — it allows for little indulgences that are good for you, like fresh cheeses.
That’s all there is to this vegetarian Tuscan white bean soup. Ladle into a bowl, and serve.Print
My Tuscan white bean soup comes together in just 45 minutes. This Mediterranean soup is full of veggies like zucchini, kale and cabbage.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves
- ½ cup fresh parsley
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1½ cup purple cabbage, sliced
- 1½ cup lacinato kale
- two 15.5 ounce cans of cannellini beans, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled goat cheese for topping (optional)
- In the bottom of a stock pot add avocado oil and pan fry the carrots, onions, celery, garlic and squash over medium heat.
- Add broth.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Top with crumbled goat cheese. (optional)
Use vegetable broth to keep it vegetarian. You can use your meat stock of choice if you aren’t concerned with keeping it vegan/vegetarian.
You can customize this recipe with different veggies and even add another protein source if you’d like, such as tempeh, chicken, bacon or beef.
Cheese topping is optional.
- Prep Time: 5min
- Cook Time: 40min
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- Serving Size: 422g
- Calories: 202
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 651mg
- Fat: 4.2g
- Saturated Fat: 0.6g
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 33.7g
- Fiber: 7.7g
- Protein: 9.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: tuscan white bean soup recipe, vegetarian tuscan white bean soup, tuscan white bean soup recipes, vegetarian tuscan white bean and kale soup, tuscan white bean and kale soup, tuscan bean soup, tuscan soup, tuscan soup recipe,