Prep: 5 minutes; Total: 8 hours 5 minutes
- 3 pound flank steak
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Juice of 2 limes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add flank steak to bottom of slow cooker.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients.
- Pour over steak in slow cooker, making sure all meat is covered with juice.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or until tender.
- Remove from slow cooker and slice. Return to slow cooker on keep warm and let soak in juices. Serve on tortillas, topped with tomatoes, avocado, plain goat yogurt and cilantro.
Adding grass-fed beef to your diet is one of the best ways to get important nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, conjugated linoleic acid, vitamins and minerals. This carne asada tacos recipe is an easy and healthy way to prepare grass-fed beef for lunch or dinner. It’s a nutrient powerhouse; plus, it’s low in carbs, gluten-free, very high in protein, packed with antioxidants and all done in the slower cooker, making your job super easy.
What is Carne Asada?
Carne asada, which means roasted meat, is a popular Latin American dish of sliced flank steak that’s served as the main ingredient in a meal. Carne asada is commonly used to make burritos and tacos, which is exactly what I do for my carne asada recipe. The meat in carne asada can be marinated in a number of ways, depending on the chef’s taste. Some rubs are simple, including just garlic, salt and lime.
For my carne asada recipe, I add a little heat (and anti-inflammatory properties) with chili powder, paprika and cumin. These spices work really well together and they add great flavor to the meat, especially when combined with honey.
Carne Asada Nutrition Facts
- 410 calories
- 49 grams protein
- 20 grams fat
- 5 grams carbohydrate
- 1.4 milligrams vitamin B6 (108 percent DV)
- 14 milligrams niacin (102 percent DV)
- 2 micrograms vitamin B12 (86 percent DV)
- 204 milligrams choline (48 percent DV)
- 1.4 milligrams vitamin B5 (29 percent DV)
- 0.2 milligrams riboflavin (25 percent DV)
- 0.17 milligrams thiamin (16 percent DV)
- 2 milligrams vitamin E (15 percent DV)
- 334 IUs vitamin A (14 percent DV)
- 31 micrograms folate (8 percent DV)
- 4.8 milligrams vitamin C (6 percent DV)
- 3.6 micrograms vitamin K (4 percent DV)
- 67 micrograms selenium (122 percent DV)
- 8 milligrams zinc (110 percent DV)
- 466 milligrams phosphorus (67 percent DV)
- 4 milligrams iron (22 percent DV)
- 0.18 milligrams copper (20 percent DV)
- 54 milligrams magnesium (17 percent DV)
- 820 milligrams potassium (17 percent DV)
- 135 milligrams sodium (9 percent DV)
- 57 milligrams calcium (6 percent DV)
- 0.07 milligrams manganese (4 percent DV)
Here’s a quick glance at some of the top health benefits associated with the ingredients in my carne asada tacos:
- Flank steak: Flank steak is rich in important vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, selenium, zinc and phosphorus. One of the top health benefits of grass-fed steak is its conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content. CLA is capable of promoting your health, fighting disease and even working as a potential cancer fighter. (4)
- Avocado oil: I use avocado oil in this carne asada recipe because it has a high smoke point, so it doesn’t become rancid when cooking beef at very high temperatures. Avocado oil is actually one of the healthiest oils on the planet because it has healing and regenerating properties. It can help to prevent diabetes, support cardiovascular health, reduce high triglyceride levels and even help to fight obesity. (5)
- Garlic: Garlic is high in sulfur compounds that have a positive impact on your health. Studies show that garlic’s components help to prevent major causes of death, including cancer, stroke, heart disease and infection. Garlic can also help to treat diabetes and improve cognitive function. (6)
- Honey: Raw honey is one of the best foods you can eat to relieve allergy symptoms, boost your energy levels, reduce your risk of developing diabetes and fight disease. It has powerful antioxidant properties that improve immune function too. (7)
How to Make Carne Asada Tacos
Start by adding a 3-pound flank steak to the bottom of your slow cooker. Then, in a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup avocado oil, juice of two limes, 2 cloves of minced garlic, 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and 1 tablespoon of honey.
Pour the marinade over your steak, making sure that all of the meat is covered with the juice. Then put the cover on your slower cooker and keep it on low for 8 hours, or until the steak is tender.
When it’s ready, remove the steak from the slow cooker, place it on a cutting board and slice it. And finally, to let the meat soak up those juices, put the sliced steak back into the slow cooker, which is just keeping warm, for a few minutes.
Get FREE Access!
Dr. Josh Axe is on a mission to provide you and your family with the highest quality nutrition tips and healthy recipes in the world...Sign up to get VIP access to his eBooks and valuable weekly health tips for FREE!
Free eBook to boost
metabolism & healing
30 Gluten-Free Recipes
& detox juicing guide
Shopping Guide &