Are you a fan of hot oatmeal? The dish is a wonderful, fiber-full breakfast — unless you’re not so hot on gluten. Fortunately, this Gluten-Free Oatmeal is for you! Honestly, whether you love oatmeal or are just getting used to the hot cereal, this gluten-free oatmeal recipe is for you. It’s so hearty that you won’t miss the grains in it one bit — all while providing oatmeal nutrition benefits.
We’ll kick things off by combining all the ingredients in a large bowl and mixing ’em together. This is a great point to personalize your “oatmeal,” by the way. Move the mix into a wide-mouth quart jar and store in the refrigerator.
Next, prepare a serving of oatmeal. Place 1/2 cup of the dry mix in the bowl and then 1 to 1–1/2 cups of almost-boiling water to the mix. Let the ingredients soak and sit for the next 3–5 minutes.
Next, add the 1 serving of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of dry mix and 1–1 1/2 cups of almost-boiling water. Mix it all up and allow it all to sit for 3–5 minutes.
Then take the gluten-free oatmeal and add in fresh fruits, chocolate, coconut milk or honey — whatever your tastebuds want to make the flavor pop! This “faux-meal” is super easy to customize to your family’s preferences, and you’ll love that there’s no gluten or grains in it.
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- ½ –1 cup hemp seeds (less if you choose to add dried fruit to your base mix)
- ½ cup chia seeds
- ½ cup whole or coarsely ground flaxseeds
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup chopped dried fruit
- ¼–½ teaspoon various spices. My favorite flavor combos are (1) cinnamon, cardamom, ginger; (2) cinnamon, cumin, cardamom, black pepper, coriander; (3) cloves, allspice, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon; (4) rosemary, garlic, sage, cayenne
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir together thoroughly.
- Include any optional ingredients you like.
- Transfer to a wide-mouth quart jar to store in the refrigerator.
- To prepare 1 serving of oatmeal, place 1/2 cup of dry mix in a bowl and add 1–1½ cups very hot water (just shy of boiling).
- Stir well and allow to sit for 3–5 minutes.
- Add fresh fruits, nuts, unsweetened chocolate, bacon crumbles, chicken or turkey sausage, coconut or almond milk, honey, coconut oil, or grass-fed butter to make it exciting.