Are you in a salad rut? Getting tired of the same kale and carrot combo? Spice things up with this Mango Walnut Spinach Salad.
Sweet, crunchy and topped with a homemade dressing, this is one salad you can’t skip out on. The walnuts add heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids and a satisfying texture. The mangoes do double-duty as dressing and a juicy addition to the mix of kale and greens. It’s a family-sized salad that I know everyone will enjoy.
Start by adding the walnuts to a small skillet and toasting them over medium-high heat for 3–4 minutes, until the walnuts are lightly browned. Then place the walnuts and the first seven ingredients (spinach through blackberries) in a large bowl. You’ve got the base of your mango walnut spinach salad ready.
Next, puree the two ripe, nutrition-rich mangoes until you have 1/3 cup. Then add the remaining ingredients, including the pureed mango, to a blender and blend until well mixed. You’ve now got a fruity, creamy homemade dressing on your hands.
Then pour the dressing into a bowl and add in the chopped parsley. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and serve. I love how hearty this mango walnut salad is as well as the combination of flavors. If you’re not a huge blackberry fan, you could even substitute another berry of choice, like strawberries.
- ½ pound baby spinach
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 pound mixed spring salad mix (organic)
- 1 small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 mangos, peeled, seeded and cut into strips
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- ½ cup rough chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled, seeded and puréed in blender to make 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium/high heat for 3–4 minutes until lightly browned. Place cooled walnuts and first 7 ingredients listed in salad bowl.
- Purée mango and measure 1/3 cup. Add the last 9 ingredients listed (including mango) except chopped parsley to blender and blend until well mixed.
- Pour dressing into a bowl and add parsley.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.